Generator Fumes Kill 2 Kogi Poly Students

by Ohepo Ohepo

Tragedy Strikes as Two Kogi State Polytechnic Students Die from Generator Fumes

In a heart-wrenching incident at Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja, two students tragically lost their lives after inhaling toxic fumes from a generator. The Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer, SP William Ovye Aya, confirmed the devastating news during a telephone interview with DAILY POST on Thursday evening.

The deceased students were identified as 20-year-old Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo and Ibrahim Haliru. SP Aya revealed that the generator causing the fatal incident was placed perilously close to the window of the room where the victims were sleeping.

Neighbors discovered the lifeless bodies of the two students early in the day, following the tragic event. “The room housed three students from Kogi Polytechnic: Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, Ibrahim Haliru, and Mercy Ojochegbe. As they slept, a generator operated near their apartment’s window, leading them to inhale lethal carbon monoxide emissions,” SP Aya recounted.

While Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo and Ibrahim Haliru were found dead, Mercy Ojochegbe was found alive but in critical condition and was immediately rushed to the hospital. The police were notified, and the incident is currently under investigation by the B division of the Nigeria Police Force, Lokoja.

SP Aya took the opportunity to issue a stern warning about the dangers of improper generator use, urging residents to exercise caution to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. He emphasized the importance of keeping generators at a safe distance from living spaces and not placing them near windows due to theft fears. “Life preservation is paramount, and safety should always be our priority,” he advised, underscoring the value of adhering to safety measures to avoid such tragic incidents in the future.

You may also like

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
Update Required Flash plugin
Verified by MonsterInsights